Welcome to Ballroom Dancing in Nanaimo!
The Nanaimo Ballroom Dance Society creates more opportunities for residents of Nanaimo and area to enjoy dancing.
Our regular dances feature a workshop to start you off on the right foot! We provide instruction to help introduce you to international style ballroom figures, develop the fundamentals of good dance technique, and have fun with sequence dances. Our focus is on the International style of ballroom dancing. This includes the five standard ballroom dances which are Waltz, Quickstep, Tango, Slow Foxtrot and Viennese Waltz, and five Latin dances which are Cha Cha, Rumba, Samba, Jive and Paso Doble. Every dance features excellent music, with the appropriate tempo, a large hardwood floor, a smoke-free hall, refreshments, and a friendly group of dance enthusiasts.
Our dances are held at a variety of venues including Bowen Park Auditorium, Nanaimo, and the Nanoose Place Recreation Centre, Nanoose. The dances normally commence at 8:30 p.m. and finish around 11.30. The halls are open from 6 p.m. (or earlier) for practice and from 7:30 p.m. for workshops (check the dance calendar for workshop topics).
Please check the dance calendar page for current information on upcoming dances.
- Island Fantasy Ball: This ballroom competition has been held every spring at the Beban Social Centre for 21 years now. Recognized by DanceSport BC, Canada DanceSport and the Canadian Dancesport Federation, this spectacular event gives Nanaimo the opportunity to see the best dancers in BC compete for the provincial championships and to see top International dancers compete for the open Championships. We encourage local competitors by providing practice space.
- Dance Camp: Held in summer each year, Dance Camps offer a more casual dance experience as well as the opportunity to try out other dances besides the five ballroom dances and five Latin dances typically offered – dances such as West Coast Swing, Night Club Two-Step, Argentine Tango and more. Here the days are filled with a wide range of workshops by professional instructors, and the evenings by laughter, more dances and barbecues.
- Dance Fest: Another fun summer event with professional instruction, a wonderful venue and refreshments. Please see our dance calendar for details on all of our dances.
- Anniversary Dance: Every October, this is one of our dressier affairs with a catered dinner. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Christmas Dance: Easily our most popular and well attended festive and fancy dance. Complete with a catered dinner, wine, prizes and the occasional game. Tickets are purchased in advance.
- New Year’s Eve: This is the fun-est and safest party in town. We get to let our hair down just a bit with this dance, and again, tickets are purchased in advance.
- To develop and promote interest in ballroom dancing
- To organize social and competitive dancing events and activities
- To encourage dancers and members of the community to participate in dancing
- To foster better understanding and friendship within the community and between dancers